- This event has passed.
Online Eight-Week MBSR Program April 13 to June 1, 2022 (Wednesday Evenings )
April 13 - June 1
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program is a highly respected program within the medical community for dealing with stress, pain, illness, and the demands of daily life. It was developed in 1979 by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Division of Preventative and Behavioral Medicine. MBSR is not an alternative to traditional or psychological treatments but is a complement to those approaches.
The eight-week MBSR program will provide participants with the opportunity to engage in formal MBSR mindfulness meditation practices, as well as investigation of themes of perception, automatic, habitual stress
reactivity, mindfulness-mediated stress response and interpersonal communication.
At the conclusion of the MBSR program, participants will be able to:
- Explore and recognize personal patterns around automatic pilot thinking, and automatic habitual stress reactivity that can increase burnout and reduce effectiveness;
- Identify and understand current life stressors;
- Reflect on and examine individual resources for meeting stress, comparing adaptive and maladaptive coping mechanisms;
- Understand how stress expresses itself in human biology and physiology, and then how mindfulness can reduce the stress cycle;
- Utilize formal and informal mindfulness practices to reduce distraction, bring greater clarity and intentionality to decision-making, and increase emotional regulation;
- Learn and practice mindful listening as an effective skill in human relating;
- Develop a plan for using mindfulness practices to support one’s health and well-being.